It’s been 10 months since our basement flooded and I’m finally starting to feel like the end of the renovation is in sight. We still have a lot to do, but going downstairs no longer feels like were entering a dark and scary cave.
When the flood was happening and I stood at the top of our stairs looking down at the rushing water that was filling our house, I just kept thinking of the water and how much damage it was going to do. What I wasn’t thinking of was this:
This, my friends, is what happens when a water main breaks under a sidewalk and floods your house and property. Not only does it bring gallons upon gallons of water into your house, but mud and gravel. The power of the water literally lifted our driveway up, bent in our garage door and not to mention, filled our basement with mud. When we went home the day after the flood I wanted to cry when I went downstairs. Everything was filthy and covered in mud and I just kept walking around in tears thinking this will never, ever get clean.
At the start of the demo, when they realized there was asbestos and couldn’t continue without a proper abatement, our rec room truly did resemble a cave.
After firing our second contractor (just dealing with the demolition of the rec room!) my Husband, Jay, decided to take matters into his own hands and do this rebuild on this own.
Except, he’s never done anything like this before.
We started by cleaning, cleaning and cleaning like never before. We purchased a power washer and set to work washing away the final layers of mud that the demolition crew didn’t scrape up with their shovels. We used just a basic grey concrete paint to give the floors a fresh look. We knew we’d have to paint the floors again after the walls were completed but we just needed for it to feel cleaner and fresher and much less depressing.
In the summer, Jay researched a product that seems to be a basement renovators dream. He found these panels that include framing, insulation and drywall in one. We decided to give it a shot. The price was comparable to buying all the items separately, and considering Jay had never built a room before, it seemed like a gentle way of easing into this renovation.
Next he installed the panels which were as simple as the reviews stated. Sure, it took some time to do it, but it was much faster then framing and installing insulation and drywall separately. We did have to do some framing in the interior parts of the basement, but at a much smaller scale then the outer walls, it didn’t feel too intimidating.
We’ve started the new electrical work and painting the ceiling. We decided for now to leave the ceiling exposed because we know eventually we want to split the rec room up into two rooms, we’re just not sure how we’re going to configure this yet. Instead of using a paint sprayer, Jay has been rolling the paint on and using a paint brush for the small spots. It’s not perfect, but for a first coat it’s looking pretty good.
There’s still so much that needs to happen, but it’s finally starting to feel close to being done. At the very least, I’m just happy it’s clean again.